As the body ages, many people experience joint discomfort. One option is to take a joint supplement to help promote overall bone and joint health. When looking at a joint supplement, there is one main non-controversial ingredient found in most products on the market, glucosamine. The research behind glucosamine is consistent and its benefits effective. Prime Joint Support Formula contains glucosamine, naturally produced by the body and a key component of cartilage. An aminomonosaccharide (a combination of the amino acid — glutamine and a sugar — glucose), glucosamine is concentrated in joint cartilage and has been scientifically proven to support healthy joint function and promote the normal production of synovial fluid, which lubricates your joints and regenerates cartilage. Prime Joint Support Formula also contains the powerful antioxidant Pycnogenol, which science has shown to inhibit the body’s overactive inflammatory processes associated with the normal aging process. The body’s inflammatory response is a natural process. It is an essential component of the body’s defense system and can be triggered from numerous internal and external factors. Pycnogenol has been shown to help support the body’s defense system by inhibiting overactive inflammatory responses associated with the normal aging process. Furthermore, Prime Joint Support Formula is the only product on the market delivering glucosamine and Pycnogenol in isotonic form. Isotonic, which means “same pressure,” bears the same chemical resemblance of the body’s blood, plasma and tears. All fluids in the body have a certain concentration, referred to as osmotic pressure. The body’s common osmotic pressure, which is isotonic, allows a consistent maintenance of body tissues. In order for a substance to be absorbed and used in the body’s metabolism, it must be in an isotonic state. Isotonix dietary supplements are delivered in an isotonic solution. This means that the body has less work to do to obtain maximum absorption of the nutrients. The isotonic state of the suspension allows nutrients to pass directly into the small intestine and rapidly absorb into the bloodstream. With Isotonix products, little nutritive value is lost, making the absorption of nutrients highly efficient while delivering maximum results.
- A factor in maintaining healthy cartilage
- Helps to maintain healthy cartilage
- A factor in maintaining joint health
- Helps to maintain joint health
- Product Tested NO Detectable GMO
Glucosamine is a molecule that is naturally synthesized in the body from glucose and the amino acid glutamine. Glucosamine is an important constituent of glycosaminoglycans in cartilage matrix and synovial fluid. As our bodies age, we are less able to produce glucosamine, resulting in cartilage that is less flexible and weak. Although the mechanism is currently unclear, studies have shown that glucosamine supplementation can support normal, healthy cartilage cell production to help maintain overall joint health.
Pine Bark Extract (Pycnogenol)
Pycnogenol is a water-soluble flavonoid complex with powerful benefits. Pycnogenol, similar to the proanthocyanins found in grape seeds, is extracted from the bark of the French maritime pine tree. Numerous studies have examined the anti-inflammatory properties of Pycnogenol. The body’s inflammatory response is a natural process. It is an essential component of the body’s defense system, and can be triggered from numerous internal and external factors. Pycnogenol has been shown help maintain the body’s natural defenses by inhibiting over active inflammatory responses associated with the normal aging process. Research has shown that Pycnogenol may inhibit the activation of NF-kappa B and AP-1, both of which are proinflammatory mediators. Pycnogenol supplementation can also promote normal COX-2 and 5-LOX gene expression and support healthy leukotriene biosynthesis. In addition, studies have shown the ability of Pycnogenol to cross-link collagen fibers and strengthen connective tissue proteins.
- Barringer T et al. Potential Benefits on Impairment of Endothelial Function after a High-fat Meal of 4 weeks of Flavonoid Supplementation. Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine: eCAM. doi:10.1093/ecam/nen048: 1-6, 2008.
- Belcaro, G., et al. Variations in C-reactive protein, plasma free radicals and fibrinogen values in patients with osteoarthritis treated with Pycnogenol. Redox Report. 13(6): 271-276, 2008.
- Blewis, M., et al. A model of synovial fluid lubricant composition in normal and injured joints. European Cells and Materials. 13: 26-39, 2007.
- Braham, R., et al. The effect of glucosamine supplementation on people experiencing regular knee pain. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 37(1): 45-49, 2003.
- Canali, R., et al. The anti-inflammatory pharmacology of Pycnogenol in humans involves COX-2 and 5-LOX mRNA expression in leukocytes. International Immunopharmacology. 9(10): 1145-1149, 2009.
- Cesarone MR et al. Improvement in circulation and in cardiovascular risk factors with a proprietary isotonic bioflavonoid formula OPC-3. Angiology. 59(4):408-14, 2008.
- Cesarone MR et al. Accelerated antioxidant bioavailability of OPC-3 bioflavonoids administered as isotonic solution. Phytotherapy Research. 23(6):775-7, 2009.
- Chou, M., et al. Effects of chondroitin and glucosamine sulfate in a dietary bar formulation on inflammation, interleukin-1beta, matrix metalloprotease-9, and cartilage damage in arthritis. Experimental Biology and Medicine. 230(4): 255-262, 2005.
- Cisár, P., et al. Effect of pine bark extract (Pycnogenol) on symptoms of knee osteoarthritis. Phytotherapy Research. 22: 1087-1092, 2008.
- Farid, R., et al. Pycnogenol supplementation reduces pain and stiffness and improves physical function in adults with knee osteoarthritis. Nutrition Research. 27: 692-697, 2007.
- Gaby, A. Natural treatments for osteoarthritis. Alternative Medicine Review. 4(5): 330-341, 1999.
- Gouze, J., et al. Exogenous glucosamine globally protects chondrocytes from the arthritogenic effects of IL-1beta. Arthritis Research and Therapy. 8(6): R173
- Grimm, T., et al. Inhibition of NF-kappaB activation and MMP-9 secretion by plasma of human volunteers after ingestion of maritime pine bark extract (Pycnogenol). Journal of Inflammation. 3: 1-15, 2006.
- Hua, J., et al. Inhibitory actions of glucosamine, a therapeutic agent for osteoarthritis, on the functions of neutrophils. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 71(4): 632-640, 2002.
- James, C. and Uhl, T. A review of articular cartilage pathology and the use of glucosamine sulfate. Journal of Athletic Training. 36(4): 413-419, 2001.
- Laurent, T., et al. Functions of hyaluronan. Annals of the Rheumatic Disease. 54(5): 429-432, 1995.
- Kelly, G. The role of glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfates in the treatment of degenerative joint disease. Alternative Medicine Review. 3(1): 27-39, 1998.
- Nakatani, S., et al. Glucosamine regulates differentiation of a chondrogenic cell line, ATDC5. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 30(3): 433-438, 2007.
- Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database- www.naturaldatabase.com Pycnogenol
- NHPD database: Glucosamine HCl - 2009-June
- Poustie, M., et al. N-butyryl glucosamine increases matrix gene expression by chondrocytes. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 311(2): 610-616, 2004.
- Reginster, J., et al. Current concepts in the therapeutic management of osteoarthritis with glucosamine. Bulletin (Hospital for Joint Disease). 63(1-2): 31-36, 2005.
- Reginster, J., et al. Long-term effects of glucosamine sulphate on osteoarthritis progression: a randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Lancet. 357(9252): 251-256, 2001.
- Richy, F., et al. Structural and symptomatic efficacy of glucosamine and chondroitin in knee osteoarthritis: a comprehensive meta-analysis. Archives of Internal Medicine. 163(13): 1514-1522, 2003.
- Rohdewald, P. A review of the French maritime pine bark extract (Pycnogenol), a herbal medication with a diverse clinical pharmacology. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 40(4):158-168, 2002.
- Schäfer, A., et al. Inhibition of COX-1 and COX-2 activity by plasma of human volunteers after ingestion of French maritime pine bark extract (Pycnogenol). Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy. 60: 5-9, 2006.
What is the recommended dosage?
Pour 3 level, white bottle capfuls of powder into a cup. Add 6 fl. oz of (the line on the overcap indicates 2 fl. oz.) of water and stir. Maximum absorption occurs when taken with a meal. This product is isotonic only if the specified amounts of powder and water are used.
What other products should I take with Prime Joint Support Formula by Isotonix to support my joint health?
Heart Health Essential Omega III is a great pair with Prime Joint Support Formula, as omega III fatty acids have been shown to support healthy joint lubrication.
How often should I take Prime Joint Support Formula by Isotonix?
This product is most effective when taken daily.
How much Pycnogenol is in Prime Joint Support Formula by Isotonix?
There are 25 milligrams of Pycnogenol in each daily serving.
Who should not use this product?
Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not use this product. If you are currently taking warfarin (Coumadin) or any other antiplatelet/anticoagulant drugs, anti-hypertensive drugs, any prescription drug or have an ongoing medical condition, you should consult your healthcare provider before using this product. If you have a known allergy to shellfish, do not use this product.
As the body ages, many people experience joint discomfort. Prime Joint Support Formula contains the powerful antioxidant Pycnogenol, which inhibits the body’s overactive inflammatory processes associated with the normal aging process. By taking Prime Joint Support, you can contribute positively to maintaining healthy cartilage and healthy joints. Prime Joint Support Formula is the only product on the market delivering needed glucosamine and Pycnogenol in an isotonic form. The isotonic state of the suspension allows nutrients to pass directly into the small intestine and rapidly absorb into the bloodstream. With Isotonix products, little nutritive value is lost, making the absorption of nutrients highly efficient while delivering maximum results.
Pycnogenol is the registered trademark of Horphag Research (UK) Ltd.
*These products are not manufactured or distributed by Market America, Inc., and all associated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
- Staff Reviewer
- Shop Consultant
A lifetime of broken bones, but no pain!
As a former athlete, multiple broken bones/strains/tears/surgeries over my career and now that I am older, the possibility of joint pain was becoming a reality. After an old knee surgery started to flare up, I added this to my health regimen and have had the relief I was looking for, no NSAIDS for me. Love this product.
- Shop Consultant
What a difference!!
I have so many physical ailments, it's not funny. OPC3 made a huge impact on my life, giving me the ability to do things I couldn't before. Prime Joint Support has effectively increased those abilities. Added it to my daily routine, to enjoy my daily life's routines.
- Shop Consultant
No more aches and pains.
No more achy knees after a work out! I have been using this for more than 2 years and rarely have any of the joint pains that I used to have.
No more knee brace!
My husband had 90% of the meniscus (protective cartilage within the knee joint) removed in one of his knees and the other has a ligament injury from 30 years ago! Within 2 weeks of starting the Prime Joint supplement he was able to stop wearing his knee brace most days and was pain free for the first time in years! He said he didn't even know how uncomfortable he was until he found relief! He had tried multiple over the counter Glucosamine supplement recommended by the orthopedic doctor and had no relief. We are customers for life!